Saturday, May 02, 2015

RTI - Power of knowing your rights - My Experience at PSU bank


This is about my experience of knowing ur rights and using proper channels to get work done at govt establishments.
Had to get a bank account statement and register for SMS alert at Syndicate bank, Chinchwad , Pune branch.
Was trying to do this at a non-home branch .

This is how conversation went
Me: Need statement for account.
Officer: Saving or current
Me: Saving
Office: We dont give statement for savings
Me: This is not possible u will have to give.
Officer: Take a xerox of passbook that will serve as statement
Me: I need proper statement with your stamp as I need to give for Visa.
Officer: Ok give a application and wait
After giving application all excuses start again.

Office: This account is not of our branch , we cant give.
Me:Madam u can see the details in ur computer , you just need to press print
Officer: But we are not allowed to . Go to your home branch
Me: Madam home branch is in another city, and I know u can print.
Officer: We have lot of other important work, So many checks are pending , we can not do this.
Me: My work is also important for me . U can not prioritize at ur will and Mine is just few mins work.
Officer: Ok Give a application and come next week.
Me: The time u spent arguing u could have printed .
Officer: We cant give u today give application and come next week
From this moment officer stops answering me , starts ignoring .
You are literally reduced to pleading for what is ur right.
Now I decide to fight.
I go to branch manager and tell him the issue.
He repeats the same excuses.
I Tell him I will complain to banking OMBUDSMAN. Everything changes . 
He calls officer and asks to give statement . I get statement in few mins.

Now I fill application for SMS alert and submit.
Again officer says non-home branch can not be done. System doesnt allow entry.
( System not working , access not there are common excuses)
Again Decide to fight.I know PSU banks are under RTI as they are owned by government.
I Write a RTI seeking  answer to whether SMS alert registration can not be done  at no branch? if so under what rule/Notication/GR.
I ask the Officer for PIO ie public information officer ie officer who is responsible for RTI applications. They have no Idea.
I say I need to file RTI. U need to give me in writing that non-home SMS registration can not be done.
All hell breaks loose. We can not give in writing to all customers such thinghs and all. How can u ask in writing.
I say u r PSU bankm U r under RTI and u will have to give information which I seek.
She probably had no idea of RTI and kept refusing. I say u do ur work and I will file RTI my way.
Either u take my application or will send by registered post. Then i am directed to senior officer.
He reads my RTI application and immediately directs officer to get my work done.
Officers gets my SMS alert registration done in few mins.
Moral: Know ur rights and fight for it . It doesnt need far effort. U just need to know ur rights and the authories to approach .
Many times for trivial issues , the offending officer doesnt want to face seniors or complaints .

No comments:

Post a Comment